Friday, March 30, 2012

Restore won't open

I have 2 SQL 2K servers, ea running Server2k SP4 and SQL2K SP4. In EnterPrise
Manager, when I right-click on my 2 main databases, choose All
Tasks...Restore, I then get a perpetual hour-glass & have to terminate ER to
stop it. If I do this for any of the sample databases, the Restore dialogue
opens. I even verified there were no open connections to the 2 databases in
question, & it happens on both servers. I had to do a command line restore.
The backup, etc works fine, just the restore won't open. It did this on SQL
SP3 & I hoped installing SP4 would fix it, but no go. Any ideas? I even
terminated any non-critical services to no avail, i.e. Backup Exec services,
Trend Micro AV, etc.
Ted
Possibly a LOT of backuphistory to read. Check out the number of rows in the backup history tables
in msdb. Also, read about sp_delete_backuphistory (which takes a long time to run in order to delete
a lot of backup history).
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Ted Cole" <Ted Cole@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:99032F45-145B-4500-ABCB-9B922BB540E1@.microsoft.com...
>I have 2 SQL 2K servers, ea running Server2k SP4 and SQL2K SP4. In EnterPrise
> Manager, when I right-click on my 2 main databases, choose All
> Tasks...Restore, I then get a perpetual hour-glass & have to terminate ER to
> stop it. If I do this for any of the sample databases, the Restore dialogue
> opens. I even verified there were no open connections to the 2 databases in
> question, & it happens on both servers. I had to do a command line restore.
> The backup, etc works fine, just the restore won't open. It did this on SQL
> SP3 & I hoped installing SP4 would fix it, but no go. Any ideas? I even
> terminated any non-critical services to no avail, i.e. Backup Exec services,
> Trend Micro AV, etc.
> Ted
sql

No comments:

Post a Comment