Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Restore using... attcahe database.....

When we wanted to restore SQL server (entire server was rebuild) my
colleague restored the database using attach database in the enterprise
manager even though the database was not detached exclusively. We did not
see any data discrepancies. It now makes me feel all my differential and
transactional backups are redundant.
Is it correct to attach the database when it is not exclusively detached?
I am using SQL 2K.
Thanks,
NelsonSometimes it work, sometimes it doesn't. You can search the newsgroup archiv
es for a *bunch* of
times where it evidently didn't work. I.e nothing to count on. Also, BOL cle
arly states this (need
to be detached to guarantee).
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com/
"Nelson Smith" <NelSmith@.hotmail.com> wrote in message news:udXwZ7dQFHA.3404@.TK2MSFTNGP12.ph
x.gbl...
> When we wanted to restore SQL server (entire server was rebuild) my
> colleague restored the database using attach database in the enterprise
> manager even though the database was not detached exclusively. We did not
> see any data discrepancies. It now makes me feel all my differential and
> transactional backups are redundant.
> Is it correct to attach the database when it is not exclusively detached?
> I am using SQL 2K.
> Thanks,
> Nelson
>
>sql

No comments:

Post a Comment