Wednesday, March 28, 2012

RESTORE VERIFYONLY - Disk space

What is the disk space required for RESTORE VERIFYONLY ?
Could it be the size of the database ?
I got a backup of 11.8 GB and only 11.3 GB free.
If I run RESTORE VERIFYONLY, it does not return anything (no 'The
backup set is valid.').
After that I always get MS Windows 'Device full' errors whenever I try to
save any
file even if I still have 11 GB free.
I may not event start the MS Windows event viewer
I have to reboot my server.
Could it be that RESTORE VERIFYONLY restores the DB in some temporary
file and that the space is not actually released after RESTORE
VERIFYONLY failed ?
If this is the case is there a way to specify a directory for RESTORE
VERIFYONLY ?
Thanks in advance.
PS I am using MS SQL Server 2000 (8.00.760 SP3) on Windows 2000 Server
5.00.2195 SP4.Hi, Eric
RESTORE VERIFYONLY only reads the backup, without writing anything in
any database (not even a temporary file), so free space is not an issue
when you use RESTORE VERIFYONLY (i.e. you can have only 1GB of free
space, and it would still work for a 11GB backup).
Razvan|||VERIFYONLY simply reads the backup. In SQL Server 2000, it essentially read
the header. In SQL Server 2005, it reads the header, checksums, and page
chain. It doesn't write the backup back out anywhere.
What else is happening on your server when this runs?
--
Mike
Mentor
Solid Quality Learning
http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
"Paesmans Eric" <epa@.missioncriticalit.com> wrote in message
news:43c3c8d5$0$440$6c56d894@.reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> What is the disk space required for RESTORE VERIFYONLY ?
>
> Could it be the size of the database ?
>
> I got a backup of 11.8 GB and only 11.3 GB free.
>
> If I run RESTORE VERIFYONLY, it does not return anything (no 'The
> backup set is valid.').
>
> After that I always get MS Windows 'Device full' errors whenever I try to
> save any
> file even if I still have 11 GB free.
> I may not event start the MS Windows event viewer
> I have to reboot my server.
>
> Could it be that RESTORE VERIFYONLY restores the DB in some temporary
> file and that the space is not actually released after RESTORE
> VERIFYONLY failed ?
>
> If this is the case is there a way to specify a directory for RESTORE
> VERIFYONLY ?
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> PS I am using MS SQL Server 2000 (8.00.760 SP3) on Windows 2000 Server
> 5.00.2195 SP4.
>|||The command is executed via a Bash script that is started by the SQL Agent
as a DTS Package.
"Michael Hotek" <mike@.solidqualitylearning.com> wrote in message
news:%233w7T9fFGHA.3172@.TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
> VERIFYONLY simply reads the backup. In SQL Server 2000, it essentially
read
> the header. In SQL Server 2005, it reads the header, checksums, and page
> chain. It doesn't write the backup back out anywhere.
> What else is happening on your server when this runs?
> --
> Mike
> Mentor
> Solid Quality Learning
> http://www.solidqualitylearning.com
>
> "Paesmans Eric" <epa@.missioncriticalit.com> wrote in message
> news:43c3c8d5$0$440$6c56d894@.reader0.news.be.easynet.net...
> > What is the disk space required for RESTORE VERIFYONLY ?
> >
> >
> > Could it be the size of the database ?
> >
> >
> > I got a backup of 11.8 GB and only 11.3 GB free.
> >
> >
> > If I run RESTORE VERIFYONLY, it does not return anything (no 'The
> > backup set is valid.').
> >
> >
> > After that I always get MS Windows 'Device full' errors whenever I try
to
> > save any
> > file even if I still have 11 GB free.
> > I may not event start the MS Windows event viewer
> > I have to reboot my server.
> >
> >
> > Could it be that RESTORE VERIFYONLY restores the DB in some temporary
> > file and that the space is not actually released after RESTORE
> > VERIFYONLY failed ?
> >
> >
> > If this is the case is there a way to specify a directory for RESTORE
> > VERIFYONLY ?
> >
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> >
> > PS I am using MS SQL Server 2000 (8.00.760 SP3) on Windows 2000 Server
> > 5.00.2195 SP4.
> >
> >
>

No comments:

Post a Comment