Saturday, February 25, 2012

Restore MB/Sec

What sort of MB/Sec do you have for a restore operation?
I have a 15 Disk RAID10 Array for the data, a 2 Disk RAID1 Mirror for the
log, and the backup is coming from a 6 Disk RAID10 array.. ..the database I
just restored reported "RESTORE DATABASE successfully processed 14937911
pages in 5809.377 seconds (21.064 MB/sec).", from perfmon I can see the
database I am restoring now is experiencing average sec/write of 0.08 -
0.10, and has a throughput of around 40/50MB.. ..I thought it would be a bit
better than this and just wanted to benchmark this against other
observations...
(Currently nothing else is occuring on the box apart from the restore)"Ben UK" <BenUK@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:91DF00F5-6938-41BD-928E-5942F3CB88E6@.microsoft.com...
> What sort of MB/Sec do you have for a restore operation?
> I have a 15 Disk RAID10 Array for the data, a 2 Disk RAID1 Mirror for the
> log, and the backup is coming from a 6 Disk RAID10 array.. ..the database
> I
> just restored reported "RESTORE DATABASE successfully processed 14937911
> pages in 5809.377 seconds (21.064 MB/sec).", from perfmon I can see the
> database I am restoring now is experiencing average sec/write of 0.08 -
> 0.10, and has a throughput of around 40/50MB.. ..I thought it would be a
> bit
> better than this and just wanted to benchmark this against other
> observations...
Hard to say.
I know when I did some testing on our servers, the limiting factor was the
source drives.
(btw, 15 disk RAID 10, I have to assume one is a hot spare, since otherwise
that doesn't work).
Also, you could be hitting network limitations.

> (Currently nothing else is occuring on the box apart from the restore)
Greg Moore
SQL Server DBA Consulting
Email: sql (at) greenms.com http://www.greenms.com

No comments:

Post a Comment