Saturday, February 25, 2012

restore Master question

sql2k sp3
Im doing some disaster recovery testing. I first did a
Full backup of Master and a User db. Then I modified some
data in the User db. So then I uninstalled/ reinstalled
SQL to simulate a total box failure. I then restored the
full backup of Master. Now the thing thats weird is that
the user db came back online without restoring it. It even
has the data changes that occured after the full backups.
How can it be? I thought I would have had to restore the
User db as well in order to preserve the data?
TIA, ChrisAfter you uninstalled SQL Server, did you delete your mdf and ldf files?|||Chris,
When you were trying "to simulate a total box failure"
you forgot do delete actual databases files.
Next time, try to delete all files in MSSQL\Data folder.
HTH
Igor
"chris" <anonymous@.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
news:6ba801c40170$18fd60c0$a101280a@.phx.gbl...
> sql2k sp3
> Im doing some disaster recovery testing. I first did a
> Full backup of Master and a User db. Then I modified some
> data in the User db. So then I uninstalled/ reinstalled
> SQL to simulate a total box failure. I then restored the
> full backup of Master. Now the thing thats weird is that
> the user db came back online without restoring it. It even
> has the data changes that occured after the full backups.
> How can it be? I thought I would have had to restore the
> User db as well in order to preserve the data?
> TIA, Chris|||Doh!!! Someone else just pointed that out to me also.
>--Original Message--
>After you uninstalled SQL Server, did you delete your mdf
and ldf files?
>.
>

No comments:

Post a Comment