Saturday, February 25, 2012

Restore Master DB to test server

Hi All:

Please advise me about restore a master database from production to test server.

The reason to do this because I need to test and evaluate some login in master database.

I tried to restore master database to test server, but I got some errors regarding about user databases are not exists in test server. I don't want to restore user databases, I only need master database for evaluate user login.

Again thanks for your advice.

You need not to restore the master database to vlidate the User Login. Better Script the user information from the source server to your test server. Restoring Master database is really bad idea.

|||

Rather than restore the master database, perhaps you could just transfer the logins using the process in the following article:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/918992/

Alternatively, you could try starting sql server with the trace flag 3607 which should skip the recovery of the user databases.

HTH!

No comments:

Post a Comment